While Dota 2 has been around since 2013, it has still managed to maintain its position as one of the world’s top esports. Not only do massive tournaments like The International attract millions of viewers, but many people have also grown to enjoy betting on Dota 2. While betting on Dota 2 can be fun, this esport is also notoriously unpredictable. So we’ve assembled some simple Dota 2 betting tips to help you out.
The fact that Dota 2 is a team-based game has made it perfect for the esports betting world. The two teams of five battle it out to destroy their opponent’s ancient and the Dota 2 betting odds will reflect this struggle.
But there’s so much more to this game that makes it an essential part of esports betting culture. From how the players pick and equip their heroes to the way in which teams must work together to become greater than the sum of their parts, Dota 2 is always a fascinating game to watch.
Whether you’re watching one of the major Dota 2 tournaments like The International or are just wanting to bet on streamers in one of the invitationals, we’ll be by your side each step of the way. So keep reading to see our Dota 2 betting tips.
Betting on the biggest and best Dota 2 tournaments
You can’t talk about Dota 2 and not mention The International. This is one of the biggest esports tournaments in the world, and it represents the pinnacle of competitive gameplay for this MOBA game. The International has been running since 2011 and it features 18 teams battling it out to win the grand prize. We should note that the prize pool of The International is crowdfunded and it regularly breaks records for being the most lucrative of all of the esports tournaments.
Recently we’ve seen some incredible performances by top Dota 2 teams like OG and Team Liquid at The International. But it’s a competition where there’s always the potential for a big upset as teams battle to win the Aegis of Champions trophy.
Not that Dota 2 betting is all about The International. All of the best Dota 2 betting sites will give you chance to bet on this iconic MOBA game throughout the year. Whether these Dota 2 clashes are happening at top esports festivals like DreamHack or ESL, you know that there will always be some great action to bet on. Be sure to pay attention to what’s going on in the Dota Pro Circuit for a great indication of which teams could make it to the top.
What Dota 2 betting markets are there?
If you want to successfully bet on Dota 2, you’ll need to know how to bet on all of the different betting markets. Here are some of the most popular markets to use with your Dota 2 betting items.
- Match winner: For example, who would win a Dota 2 match between Evil Geniuses and OG?
- Outright bet: An example would be betting on who would win the next International tournament.
- Handicap betting: This puts each team at a points advantage or disadvantage. A favourite would have to win the match by a larger amount for you to win your bet, but you’d get a bigger payout.
- Maps: You might be able to bet on which team will win each map, or you could even bet on the total number of maps played.
- Game specific bets: Some bookmakers will allow you to bet on certain events happening in a Dota 2 game like the team to destroy the first tower, first aegis, first barracks and so on.
- Correct score: You might be able to bet on what the correct score out of three games will be at some bookmaker sites.
Simple Dota 2 betting tips to try
While betting on this MOBA game may be tricky, there are few simple things that you can do to give yourself a better chance of not blowing your Dota 2 bets. Here are some simple esports betting tips to help you out:
- Don’t stick with match winner bets: Try using some alternative betting markets for a great way to get extra value with your Dota 2 bets.
- Do your research: Only bet on those Dota 2 teams and players you know best for the ultimate way to spot when any Dota 2 odds are too good to pass up.
- Use any available bonuses: Remember that many Dota 2 betting sites will put on special bonuses that can be used to take your esports bets to the next level.
- Keep your betting stakes modest: We’d always recommend only betting with money that you don’t mind losing to avoid accidentally betting with your heart rather than your head.
We realise that many people may be new to Dota 2 betting. So here are some of the most common questions that newbies might have about betting on this MOBA game.
Discovering the best Dota 2 betting sites
Nearly all decent betting sites will now give you a safe, easy and legal way to bet on Dota 2. Some major online bookmakers like Bet365 and Betway are well known for putting on superior odds for some of the biggest Dota 2 tournaments.
However, it’s also worth checking out some newer sports betting sites like TonyBet where you might be able to find better odds on some alternative Dota 2 betting markets.
Remember to check out some of those dedicated esports betting sites such as GG.Bet or Unikrn where you may even be able to enjoy live streaming as you put down your in-play Dota 2 bets. Don’t forget that these sites also give you a great way to enjoy some LoL betting.
Which betting site has the best Dota 2 odds?
There is plenty of debate about this. Some betting sites might have better odds for some Dota 2 tournaments and not others. We will make sure that you always find those betting sites with the best Dota 2 odds.
Is it legal to bet on Dota 2?
It depends which country you are living in. You can legally bet on Dota 2 in many European countries like the UK. But some countries and states in the US still forbid you from betting on esports like Dota 2. Plus you will need to be of legal age to bet in your country of residence.
Is Dota 2 betting fixed?
While there might have been some match-fixing allegations at the dawn of esports, all major Dota 2 tournaments have made sure that such occurrences never happen again.